November 15, 2011
Marshall is President of The Marshall Group, a family-owned Reston, Virginia firm specializing in architecture, structural engineering, construction management and general contracting. A registered architect in a number of states, Marshall is certified by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards. He holds a bachelor’s degree in architecture from Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Alabama.
Following graduation and service in the United States Air Force, Marshall served in several increasingly responsible positions with the Naval Facilities Engineering Command. From 1967 to 1982 he was tapped to be the director of design on the staff of the Secretary of Defense where he was responsible for the development and implementation of all design criteria, policies and construction standards used in the U.S. Department of Defense’s annual, multi-billion-dollar, worldwide design and construction program.
Following Marshall’s retirement from the Federal Government after 32 years of distinguished service, he founded The Marshall Group in 1982. The firm has a diverse portfolio of public and private sector clients for which it has designed educational, residential, religious, commercial, government and institutional facilities.
Professional Organization Offices Held
American Institute of Architects:
• Chairman of the National Public Architects Committee,
• Chair of the 1992 College of Fellows Jury, and member 1990 and 1991 College of Fellows Jury,
• Member of the AIA Federal Architecture Task Group,
Construction Specifications Institute:
• President of the DC Metropolitan Chapter,
National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA):
• Member of the National Board of Directors, and
• Elected to the NOMA Council.
National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS):
• Founding member of the NIBS Consultative Council,
• Member NIBS Board of Directors 1982 to 1987, and 2005 to 2010
• NIBS Board Treasurer 1986 to 1987, and 2006 to 2010
• NIBS Board Secretary 2005
• Fellow American Institute of Architects
• Fellow Construction Specifications Institute
• CSI’s Carl J. Ebert Award
• Tuskegee North-Eastern “Alumni Achievers Award” and Construction Alumni Association’s Pioneer Award
• United States Small Business Award
• Granville Academy’s Entrepreneur Award
• Recipient of NIBS’ inaugural Mortimer M. Marshall Lifetime Achievement Award established in Marshall’s name.